January 14, 2023

Organize Your Closet with These Tips from The Home Edit's Founders

Whether you live to organize or only dream of whipping your home into impeccable order, you’ve probably taken a tip or two from experts on the topic Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin, otherwise known the women behind The Home Edit. This duo began their business in 2015 with the intention of reimagining the way most people think about organization. Two New York Times bestselling books, one Emmy-nominated series, and a collection of products later (not to mention their growing list of celebrity clientele that includes Reese Witherspoon, Khloe Kardashian, and Mindy Kaling among others), Clea and Joanna have become household names.

That said, we could not be more excited to reconnect with our former cover stars and recent Climbing in Heels guests for a curated collection in The Shoppe! We asked Clea and Joanna to select the products they think will give your lifestyle a little boost. Not only will you find tons of chic upgrades for your home, but perfect-for-winter knitwear, timeless jewelry, and more! Best of all, you can shop everything in their edit at an exclusive price!

In honor of this partnership, we reached out to this dynamic organizing duo to offer you their best tips for getting your closet in order The Home Edit way! Read ahead to get all their expert advice and create your own celeb-worthy closet to start the new year off right!


Tip #1

Invest in matching hangers. It's one of the easiest ways to elevate the look of your closet and save space on a hanging rack.

Tip #2

Acrylic magazine dividers make excellent handbag holders. You can keep small to medium handbags upright and delicate ones in their own compartment. It also works well for clutches or bags without a structured bottom!

Tip #3

If you are new to organizing, don't try to tackle your closet all in one day. Not only because it's physically challenging, but it can also be emotionally draining and complicated. It's not like a pantry where you get rid of items because they're expired. Clothing holds more emotional value. Instead, break the project up into bite-sized steps. Start with one category of clothing and continue from there.

Tip #4

Create stations that flow with your everyday routine. For instance, adding over the door storage for your purse, sunglasses, and any other item you grab on your way out the door.

Tip #5

Follow the 80/20 rule, meaning your space should only be 80 percent full at any given time. Leaving 20 percent gives you permission to bring home a new pair of shoes or a handbag without risking overcrowding.

Chevron pointing left
Chevron pointing right